Search This Blog

Saturday, November 8, 2008

I LOVE TAGGING

I am always looking for a clear and rational explanation of why tagging works and what makes it different from cataloging. I finally have a good link to offer with a great essay about the advantages and disadvantages of tagging. (See link to THE HIVE MIND under FUN, COOL, FUNNY.)

I feel the tagging possibilities expanding around me, and I want to go with it.

Now I want to tag in private: I want to tag my photos, instead of filing them in multiple places, but in iphoto, not on a public site like flickr. I want to do a journal, with tags, so I can look up when I did something or what was great at dinner, or blah, blah, blah..."Put it in your blog" says my 10-yr-old. Good idea, except I don't want to bore the world with journalling.

I want to tag in private.

I want to tag in public, too. I love LibraryThing - book thoughts are shareable; I love last.fm - I love to see other people's music ideas and groupings. I don't want to see other people's photos, or their personal journals, anymore than I want to show mine.

I want to tag in private. (I even want other people to tag in private, but that's a whole other thing.)

The marigold wonders nervously:
And what else is good for tagging? I feel like getting these great ideas should be easy, but it is like pulling teeth.

No comments:

Post a Comment